Sunday, July 23, 2006

Pomegranate Green Tea - Republic of Tea


I'll have to admit that I'm not the biggest fan of flavored tea or flavored water. However, I was at Whole Foods today and came across this Pomegranate Green Tea. What an absolutely genius invention from the guys at Republic of Tea! My favorite fruit combined with my favorite beverage in one convenient no mess package.

Pomegranate Green Tea comes in a cannister of 50 natural unbleached tea bags. The first thought that came across my mind when I opened the container was that this tea smells like those salty dried plum pits that my older Chinese relatives like to eat. The ingredients listed on the cannister are fine China green tea, hibiscus, natural flavors, and POM WONDERFUL pomegranate juice.

This tea was brewed with a mug full of just short of boiling water to one tea bag. It's fascinating watching this tea steep. In two minutes, the water changes from a light pink to a deep red tinted purple. I found that the flavor is dominated by a generic berry flavor rather than that of just pomegranates, must be all the 'natural flavors' they added to the tea. I wasn't able to taste the green tea in this which is exactly why I don't usually drink flavored teas. The familiar pucker inducing tartness of pomegranate juice is unmistakable, which makes this a wonderful after dinner tea to both cleanse the palate and freshen the breath.

Overall, I highly recommend this tea if you like pomegranates or berries. However, those who prefer 'pure' and natural tasting teas like myself would probably want to pass on this one.


Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: